Dog bowls! Do I need to learn about dog bowls? We can just give the food in any vessel, right? No!
You can’t. Do you know how many different breeds of dogs are out there? There are hundreds of varieties, and those vary in size, length, shape, habit etc. So never assume that they all have the same eating habit.
According to the length and shape of nose and tongue area of a dog, their food bowl size and shape differs. So let’s have a look at the shape and size of food bowls that are mostly accessible for your pet dog.
Different types of dog bowls
There are different varieties of dog bowls present in the market like those that differ in shape, size and the material the container is made of.
Let’s go through the different sizes of dog bowls present and the beneficiary dogs.
- Shallow dog bowls: these dog bowls are helpful for puppies, small dog breeds and those dogs with a snout nose. Breeds of dogs that with a snout nose include boxers, bulldogs, etc. As they are less deep, puppies can quickly eat food from this.
- Deep dog bowls: these are the commonly seen bowls for dogs, which are more comfortable for large dogs with a long nose for eating food. Also, dogs with long and floppy ears, feel distracted while eating from a shallow dish as their ear gets into the food. So a deep bowl is helpful as their ears get aside from the bowl.
The next thing you must consider where to keep a dog bowl, on the floor or an elevated area. While feeding on the level, the large and tall dogs feel uncomfortable. This can also cause back pain among these breeds of dogs. So you can try an elevated bowl tray for feeding tall dogs.
An elevated tray that holds both a food dish and a water dish may make mealtimes more comfortable for a dog that has neck, back, or other joint issues. These are a helping hand for senior dogs. Also, make sure that the elevation is in according to your pet’s height, not too high for them to reach.
One more addition to dog bowls is a rubber base, to make the bowls none slippery when dogs eat the food. So the friction of these rubber bases makes the food in the bowl not to spill easily and reduces the mess. Hence choosing such bowls is an advantage for dog owners.
When it comes to the expense of dog bowls, not all are of the same price; each varies mainly because of the material it is made from. The different dog bowls made from different materials are:
- Plastic dog bowls: these are the cheapest among dog bowls. They are durable, dishwasher friendly, comes in various sizes and attractive colors.
But some dogs tend to chew them and may develop cracks. When you feed the dog next time, chances of getting wounded near to mouth area is high. Also chances of ingestion of small particles while chewing the plastic bowls are unavoidable.
As these are very light, your pet may often tend to spill the food. It is found in some dogs those use plastic bowls for feeding, developing an allergy near to their chin and face.
- Steel dog bowls: stainless steel bowls are the favourite dog bowls by dog owners because of the durability. Dogs cannot chew and destroy steel bowls, and they are not as light as a plastic bowl. They are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. These long-lasting, heavy-duty, and low-cost bowls are a significant investment.
It is advised to not to use steel dog bowls during the winter season. The food will be too cold and the chances of sticking the tongue of dogs are higher.
- Ceramic dog bowls: these are good looking, attractive, substantial and comes with different varieties of designs. These are durable and exists in various colors.
You must wash these bowls too often sly to make sure no bacteria are trapped in the porous material. Also take care of the dish, as they will shatter into pieces when fell accidentally from your hand. Double-check there is no lead content while purchasing any ceramic bowl.
Now we have discussed the most commonly using dog bowls by pet owners. There are some advanced types of dog bowls to have a try according to your pets special needs. Some of them we can discuss below:
- Slow feeder bowls: these are mainly for the dogs that eat in a rush and end up with vomiting and gastrointestinal discomforts. So for dealing with this kind of dogs, providing a slow feeder bowl is an advantage.
These bowls are typically made of plastic and have ridges within the bowl that resemble a maze. These barriers prevent your dog from quickly gulping its food.
The maze-like ridges make it a little bit difficult to clean. And you can also take advice from your veterinarian before trying one for your dog.
- Automatic dog feeders: did you often forget to feed your dogs at a scheduled time every day? Then automatic dog feeders are a perfect solution for you. Just fill the feeder box once, and it will automatically dispense dog food to the base tray.
There are 2 types of automatic feeders, namely electric feeders and free flowing feeders. An electric feeder dispenses a part of the food to the bowl at timely intervals. But in a free-flowing feeder, the food dispenses slowly when the lower portion empties.
These are expensive and makes the dog owner unaware of if any changes happen in their eating behaviour. Because changes in eating behaviour is a sign of your dog is not well.
Are raised dog bowls better?
Yes! These helps tall and senior dogs to deal with back and joint pain. But they are not advisable for puppies and small breeds of dogs, because they cannot eat from it well.
You can use elevator bowl trays for feeding your large breed dogs and senior dogs. You can buy dog feeding bowl with stand online through our website, pet food online, from anywhere in the UAE.
how high dog bowl should be?
First you have to measure the wither height (from ground to spine area of a dog in standing position) and decrease 6 inches from it. That length should be used as elevated height.
what type of dog bowl is best?
Stainless Steel bowls are considered as the best option for feeding a dog. Steel dog bowls are cheap and durable. But ceramic bowls stand ahead of steel bowls because steel bowls cannot be used during wintertime. Also ceramic bowls are stylish in appearance.
can plastic dog bowls cause allergies?
Yes. Plastic dog bowls are chewed and scratched by dogs. In these scratches bacteria will accumulate. This causes allergy to your pet when you feed them in this same bowl. These allergies are seen commonly around the mouth and chin area.
Hygiene is essential when you feed your dogs in bowls. You must clean the bowls every day very thoroughly.
Buy ceramic bowls for dogs online through our website,’petfoodsonline’, at the cheapest rate.
Where to buy dog bowls online?
You can choose from a different varieties and attractive kinds of dog bowls online through ’petfoodsonline’. We offer dog bowls at the best price in the Uae.
Petfoodsonline is the perfect destination for all your pet needs. Enjoy free delivery for orders above AED100.