Some fish facts
The number of different fish species hits a whole 33,600, by 2019. Each of them has different characteristics. The only common thing among all fishes are they live in water, and they have a backbone.
Other than that, when we check them, they can be divided into many many groups.
The outer skin of some fishes is slimy like that of an eal or scaly like salmon. Majority of them lay eggs as a method of reproduction and the largest animal on earth, is a fish, blue whale give birth to the baby whale. As we said, fish live in water; those who live in marine water differ from that of freshwater fishes.
One reason fish are so diverse is that 70 per cent of the planet is covered in water. The animals in this group live in a variety of habitats ranging from coral reefs and kelp forests to rivers, streams, and the open ocean.
Fishes attract a foodie and vegetarian in two ways. The former enjoy the different taste of various types of fishes, and the latter enjoys the shape, size and color of fishes and love to grow in their pond or an aquarium. Fishes are food for not only us but for many animals from ancient times itself.
The fishes we grow indoors, in an aquarium and artificial ponds are collectively called ornamental fishes or aquarium fishes. There are two types of aquarium, marine and freshwater. We cannot mix them by changing their natural habitat. And the fish food and the way they have to be cared for are different. If you did not follow the instructions, we end up in killing those cute fishes.
Most of us choose freshwater aquarium fishes to pet because they are easy to maintain compared to marine ones. If we have to make a list of them, it goes beyond hundreds and thousands. Such different varieties are available in each geographical areas all over the world.
The most commonly found aquarium fishes include:
- Oscar fish
- Pearl gourami
And the list goes on…
For ensuring our fish will stay with us for long, there are a lot of things to take care of like tank size, water sources and amount, treatment of water, the pH level of aquarium water, filtration of water, the temperature of the water, live plants, frequent cleaning of the tank, the internal environment of the tank as well as surrounding environment, proper food and feeding and tank mate.
Hence, fish tank or aquariums are given priority as they are home for our loved ones, and we must set it up with utmost care. So, let’s have a look at aquariums in detail.
It’s always so satisfying to watch a school of fish movies through the water in an aquarium. Especially those beautifully coloured fishes dancing through the water brings joy to us irrespective of our ages. Young children to adults, all are fans of an aquarium. According to the principles of Feng Shui, a fish tank in your home is a symbol of wealth and luck.
Gazing at the fishes in an aquarium not only mesmerizes but also have several scientifically proven health benefits. Like,
- Reduce stress
- Improve blood pressure and heart rate
- Helpful in getting sound sleep
- Decrease anxiety and pain
- Acts like therapy for hyperactive kids
- Useful in Alzheimer’s patients
- Improves productivity
For attaining these benefits placing the aquarium at a specific place where our eyes always have a reach. It can be near our work table, in our living room, etc. And studies have shown that having an aquarium in our bedroom eases our tensions and make us fell asleep soon. Physicians, dentists and health care providers, especially those engaged in pediatrics, use aquariums to help patients relax while they wait or during treatment.
Apart from fishes, what makes an aquarium more attractive is the plants, aquarium pebbles, aquarium lights, planted aquarium lights, etc. When choosing those also we have to be careful as they should be harmless to our fishes.
Aquarium accessories and essentials
- Fish tank: it’s recommended to have fish tank not less than 19 litres, to ensure we provide enough space for the fishes and for other essential equipment to fit in. Fishes like bettas or fighters are commonly placed in small glass jars or bowls or cups, and they survive there because of low oxygen requirement. This is not the case with all other fishes. Anyhow, we have decided to grow them, ensuring their protection also lies on us.
- Aquarium filter: A filter is for biological filtration. Without it, toxic ammonia released from fish waste and leftover fish food will pollute the water and kill the fish. So make sure your filter is on all the time.
- Aquarium water conditioner: this is required if you are using tap water for your fish tank. Tap water may contain chlorine or similar products which are harmful to fishes. These conditioners neutralize the chemicals in tap water and make it suitable for fishes to live safely in an aquarium.
- Live bacteria seeding product: these are helpful for a brand new aquarium without good bacteria to recycle the ammonia released by fishes. Naturally, it took a long time to produce good bacteria in water, so this commercial seeding product is a lifesaver for your new aquarium fishes.
- Aquarium heater: if you are not living in a tropical area, you must know that most of the aquarium fishes you have are from there and requires a balanced temperature in the aquarium. Goldfish are different in this case as temperature fluctuation won’t affect them much.
- Aquarium air pump: it is essential in a fish tank to exchange gases between water and atmosphere and hence the well being of fishes inside.
- Aquarium pebbles
- Aquarium plants
- Planted aquarium lighting: these are used for enhancing active growth of aquatic plants and appeals your aquarium best and shows off the beauty of your aquarium. These are available at different price ranges and the ordinarily expensive ones last more than others. These lighting mimics sunlight and have options to keep it in warmer color range to cooler color’s.
You can buy planted aquarium online through petfoodonline at best price in town.
Last but not least, the most important of all essentials is fish food. Let’s discuss in detail below.
There are different types of fish foods available at pet stores and that will be overwhelmed for a new comer. First, know your fish, check the species, understand are they vegetarian or carnivore or omnivore. If your fish tank is with different species of fishes, then you need floating, slow sinking and sinking fish food, because their needs will differ.
Fish food flakes or sprinkles are available in pet shops cheaply and are consisted of vegetarian dried parts. Some fishes love small shrimp varieties, worms, etc.
While feeding fishes you may tend to oversees them than underfeed. If you are seeing the aquarium getting polluted sooner, it’s mainly because of excess fish food in tank. You have to feed adult fishes only once per day. Different fish species need a varied diet plan, and you should enquire about it before buying specific species.
What decorations are safe for fish tanks?
Adding background picture and having some aquatic plants are best option for marine and fresh water aquarium. For marine aquarium, rocks with active microbes or artificial coral like structures are loved by fishes as a hide spot and also looks good. Pebbles and ornamental aquarium decorations also can be used, just look for they don’t have sharp edges.
What kind of foods do guppies eat?
Brine shrimp is the number one food for guppies, especially if they are feed live to your fish. Brine shrimp has a 60% protein content and around 25% fat and carbohydrates. A high level of protein, fat and carbohydrates will allow your guppy fry grow bigger and faster. The adult is also loved consuming brine shrimp.
Also many commercial guppy foods are available in market, and most of them consist of shrimps also. You can choose from a wide range of products.
What is the best fish food for tropical fish?
There are many brands of fresh water tropical flakes to choose from for tropical fishes. All serves as best food for tropical fishes.
Where to buy marine fish filters?
You can buy marine fish filters from any nearby pet stores and our petfoodonline provides you with a wide variety of filters to choose from.
Where to buy fish aquarium decorations?
You can access all your aquarium needs from any pet shop nearby. Pet foods online provide you online shopping platform for all you aquarium and fish needs.